Clementine is a cross-platform free and open source music player and library organizer. It is available for Unix-like, Windows and Mac OS X.
Some of the main features are :
- Search and play your local music library.
- Listen to internet radio from Spotify, Grooveshark, SomaFM, Magnatune,Jamendo, SKY.fm, Digitally Imported, JAZZRADIO.com, Soundcloud, Icecastand Subsonic servers.
- Search and play songs you've uploaded to Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive
- Create dynamic playlists.
- Tabbed playlists, import and export M3U, XSPF, PLS and ASX.
- CUE sheet support.
- Play audio CDs.
- Visualisations from projectM.
- Lyrics and artist biographies and photos.
- Transcode music into MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Ogg Speex, FLAC or AAC.
- Edit tags on MP3 and OGG files, organise your music.
- Fetch missing tags from MusicBrainz.
- Discover and download Podcasts.
- Download missing album cover art from Last.fm and Amazon.
- Cross-platform - works on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
- Native desktop notifications on Linux (libnotify) and Mac OS X (Growl).
- Remote control using an Android device, a Wii Remote, MPRIS or the command-line.
- Copy music to your iPod, iPhone, MTP or mass-storage USB player.
- Queue manager.
To install Clementine opan a terminal and type in the following commands :
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:me-davidsansome/clementine
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install clementine
DeaDBeeF is an audio player for GNU/Linux, *BSD, OpenSolaris, Mac OS X, and other UNIX-like systems. There's also the DeaDBeeF For Android, which is a very different product. There are no Windows or iOS versions though.
This is one the lightest music players out there and some of the main features are listed below :
- mp3, ogg vorbis, flac, ape, wv/iso.wv, wav, m4a/mp3 (aac and alac), mpc, tta, cd audio, and many more
- nsf, ay, vtx, vgm/vgz, spc and many other popular chiptune formats
- SID with HVSC song length database support for sid
- tracker modules - mod, s3m, it, xm, etc
- ID3v1, ID3v2.2, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4, APEv2, Xing/Info, VorbisComments tag reading and writing, as well as reading many other tag/metadata formats in most supported formats
- automatic character set detection for non-unicode id3 tags - supports cp1251, iso8859-1, and now chinese cp936 (optional), as well as SHIFT-JIS and MS-DOS CP866 for selected formats
- unicode tags are fully supported as well (both utf8 and ucs2)
- cuesheet (.cue files) support, including charset detection/conversion
- clean fast GUI using GTK2 and GTK3, you pick what you like more!
- no GNOME or KDE dependencies
- minimization to system tray, with scrollwheel volume control, etc
- drag and drop, both in playlist, and from other apps
- control playback from command line
- global hotkeys
- multiple playlists using tabbed interface
- album cover display
- OSD notifications about current playing songs
- 18-band graphical equalizer and other DSP plugins
- built-in high quality tag editor, with custom fields support
- customizable groups in playlists
- customizable columns with flexible title formatting
- streaming radio support for ogg vorbis, mp3 and aac streams
- gapless playback for correctly encoded files
- lots of plugin, such as global hotkeys, last.fm scrobbler, converter, and many more, sdk is included
- comes with advanced Converter plugin, which allows to transcode files to other formats
- was tested on x86, x86_64, powerpc, arm, mips architectures, should work on most modern platforms
- new features are being added all the time -- check for updates frequently!
In Ubuntu we can install DeaDBeaf via ppa . Open a terminal (ctlr+alt+t) and use the following commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install deadbeef
Nightingale is a free, open source audio player and web browser based on the Songbird media player source code. As such, Nightingale's engine is based on the Mozilla XULRunner with libraries such as the GStreamer media framework and libtag providing media tagging and playback support. It has a beautiful interface with a wide range of supported audio formats, all with multi-platform support.Some of the features and improvements of the latest version are listed below :
- Concerts is no more working since September 2012 → API needs to be updated
- New Releases add-on is not working either since a long time
- mashTape can cause crashes
Nightingale can be installed using the following ppa :
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nightingaleteam/nightingale-release
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nightingale