BleachBit is a free and open-source disk space cleaner, privacy manager, and computer system optimizer.
"BleachBit quickly frees disk space and tirelessly guards your privacy. Free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn't know was there. Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean a thousand applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari,and more. Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster. Better than free, BleachBit is open source."(https://www.bleachbit.org/)
The latest version for Linux is 1.10 and these are the changes that have been made since version 1.8 :
- Clean more localizations (thanks to Tristan Stenner).
- Add localization codes (thanks to Tristan Stenner).
- Add .rpm installation package for Fedora 22.
- Fix memory cleaning on Ubuntu 15.10 and other distributions (reported by Richard Pearse).
- Fix harmless error that localizations.xml is unusable (thanks to Tristan Stenner).
- Do not show localizations at the base level (reported by BBUser).
- Do not show Windows Explorer cleaner on Linux (reported by Tomás F. L.).
- Fulfill Fedora license file location change.
- Do not delete xauth under KDE (reported by mike).
- Remove deprecated key encoding in bleachbit.desktop.
- Drop support for Mandriva, which is dead.
- Do not show cleaner is unusable message in the console (except when debug mode is enabled or in non-final releases).
sudo apt-get install bleachbit
For a more up to date version (1.10) download the .deb file from here . The file can be installed by navigating to its location -> right click - > Open With -> Gdebi Package Installer -> Install .
If gdebi is not available on your system you can install it by using this command :
sudo apt-get install gdebi
Once installed Bleachbit can be launched from Dash . Proceed with caution when selecting the items you want to delete and make sure you understand what you are doing :